Sunday, October 30, 2011

Illustration Friday: Scary!

How could one not do an illustration about Halloween if the word of the week is "scary" 
and it is the weekend right before the scariest day of the year?
I certainly couldn't resist! 

Here is my scary illustration:

What do you think is going to happen with Pooch once Pumpkin pounces on him?
Can Vampire-Girl protect him and will Mummy-Boy join forces with her 
or will it be just too scary for him?






Since I have been participating in IF, I have started to play more with a looser style of illustration. 
My main focus in my work in the past had been mostly on the non fiction side and I felt it was time to get more playful. I am quite surprised about how much I have enjoyed the process so far.

I recently bought a video by Will Terry at Folio Academy. It was soooo good, I learned a lot from it. Especially how much fun it is to use some texture in your brush.
The video is called "Digital Painting in Photoshop 1+2"(http://folioacademy.com/). 
I wanted to mention it here, as I feel very grateful to Will to share his incredible knowledge in his videos as well as on his blogs. 
Thank's again, Will!


8 comments:

  1. Weel done. I do like the playfulness you mention -much better than outright scary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful expressions. Great color too

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely stunning!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I mentioned in my post, some of the technique I am using right now, I learned from Will Terry in his Photoshop tutorials.
    I have always used a more hard edged and pretty detailed way of illustrating. I love the process of getting looser, using soft edges and playing around with different textures. There is so much more to explore.
    I am loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is really great! I love the scared, blue, slightly unraveling mummy. And always bonus points for adding a dog. I love the colors and the spooky crooked landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  6. heheh awesome :) i love all the details theres soooo much depth in this illustration :) looks great :D

    ReplyDelete