Friday, October 21, 2011

An artist's muse about life drawing

I came home late last night from my life drawing class. Usually I am in bed at 8 pm ( I get up at 4 am), so a night out till 10 pm is big for me!
I had such a good time! I have been going to class for about a year now, after putting it off for many years. Always kind of wanting it and finding many excuses why not to.
Working digitally I feel so strongly, that every illustrator absolutely needs to find something to keep on working with the real thing - may it be regularly sketching or life drawing. I tried sketching, didn't work for me. Life is so full, when I am not working I am with kids, house or I just want to relax and not think about having to do anything.
My thursday life drawing afternoon has become like a retreat for me. I am looking forward to it all week long. It is my night out. I get to play in new ways as an artist and hang out with some really wonderful fellow artists. Craig Mullins usually comes to class. Check out his work. It is absolutely amazing!
He is such an inspiration! If you google him and look at his images, you'll get blown away.
Phil Sabado is in class as well. It is his studio that he is sharing with us for class. His paintings are very impressive as well! It is fun to work in his studio, which feels infused by his creativity. A lot of his paintings are hanging on the walls and I often find myself being drawn into them, into Hawaiian mythology and history.

But it hasn't always been like that. In the beginning, I took everything way too seriously. I got super upset, if my drawing didn't come together. I would actually be really mean to myself and beat myself up - at times it felt horrible.
One day though, I had a cool insight. I asked myself "Why am I paying $ 10 plus gas money, plus an afternoon away, when I could be doing some "serious" work? I don't want to spend money on something I don't enjoy, I want to have fun!"
From that moment on, something shifted for me. I am loving every class now, I am having fun and my drawings have gotten way better. Isn't that a funny coincidence?
This is my call to all illustrators (especially if you are working digitally), go and do life drawing. Not only will you improve your drawing skills, but you also might have wonderful insights about life.

I have taken that little bit of wisdom, which I got from one class into my day to day life now. Sometimes when I am bummed, things aren't going the way I like, I remind myself and ask again: "Why am I spending a whole precious day of my life being upset or sad or whatever? I don't want to do that! I really want to feel good, - all the time. It's just a choice I have to make." It is pretty simple!

If you happen to be on Maui or even live here, come and join us. Every Thursday, from 6 - 9 pm, in Wailuku at Phil Sabado's art studio (49 North Market St., Wailuku, HI 96793)






No comments:

Post a Comment