Wednesday, July 18, 2012

I Got Mail!

When I recently came home from our summer vacation, I was able to find two large envelopes sticking out of the mailbox.
One of the envelopes contained samples from the Galapagos Fur Seal book, published by Soundprints and the Smithsonian.
I  worked on that one almost a year ago. Wow, time flies!
It is part of the Smithsonian's Oceanic Collection and thus delivers facts about the Galapagos Fur Seal's as well as the story of a two-year old Fur Seal, resting on the seashore, swimming in shady cave pools or hunting for food at night.
I have always liked delivering scientific facts in a way, that makes it fun for kids to read and learn.






The other one contained two booklets for a new musical (Dear Santa - A Musical "Tweet" for Christmas) . For this I only did the cover. This one had a really fast turn around - I think I did the art in February.
It was an interesting assignment, as the theme of the musical is our more and more technologized society and how we might forget about the true meaning of Christmas, while we text, e-mail, tweet etc.
The rough sketch I received didn't have much of a Christmas feel incorporated at all. I enjoyed embellishing the original sketch, giving it more warmth and a wintery feel, while at the same time having Santa sit in his office in front of his laptop and cell phone.






No comments:

Post a Comment